So, as a good little fashion geek would do, I looked it up ;)
It seems there isn't huge differences, but more subtle ones. For instance, I love my graphic Tees (indie) but also love shiny baubles as well (eclectic). Still confused? Me too :) So here's what I came up with.
It's more of an alternative style, which has become mainstream, thus making indie a tough trend to nail down. Live underground concerts, authentic concert Tees, acoustic music ~ These are all common life-styles of an Indie fashion lover............
- THINK "JUNO" OR WILLOW FROM BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER :)
- RINGER T'S, PLAID SHIRTS, CARDIGANS, SKINNY JEANS
- SHOES: VANS, FLATS, KEDS, though many of these trends are now mainstream, making them no longer true indie.
- "COSBY" SWEATERS, OVER-SIZED CARDI'S AND TEES.
- THE OCCASIONAL CHUNKY SANDAL OR FLIP-FLOPS.
- VINYL OVER iPOD'S
- A TRUE "INDIE" WOULD NEVER SHOP AT "CHAIN STORES", except for basics.
There's not much difference, though the definition of eclectic is "a mixed style" in the fine arts. An Indie style can easily be tweaked into Eclectic with more colorful , mix and match pieces, with vintage thrown into the mix as well.
- THINK : SARAH JESSICA PARKER :)
- PLAID SHIRTS WITH FLORAL SKIRTS
- A VINTAGE BROOCH WITH A BASIC TEE.
- PUMPS AND HEELS
- TIGHTS WITH SOCKS
- BOLDER COLORS AND PATTERNS
- FUR COLLARS
- STUDDED BOOTS
STILL CONFUSED ?
ME TOO, HONESTLY .................
ECLECTIC SEEMS TO BE MERELY A BLEND OF BOTH WORLDS. Liking to mix different styles all in one. I WOULD BE CONSIDERED A "POSER" IN TRUE INDIE CIRCLES ;)
I LOVE VINTAGE ACCESSORIES PAIRED WITH A DIY EMBELLISHED TEE PAIRED WITH COLORFUL FLORALS ...........................
This is my best attempt at Indie Style, though it turned Eclectic as soon as I added the shiny brooch and trendy sunnies. Now the boots and skirt are screaming Boho !
Maybe I should stick to taking pretty pictures ;)
( Plus, a true Indie girl would be way too cool to twirl :)
OH, WHAT THE HELL ?